Thursday, July 9, 2009

My links are showing as: file://C:\everythingcatz\index...

I have uploaded my files via FTP correctly as far as I know. I have my files as C:Everthingcatz and on my server I have them in my WWW file. What am I doing wrong

My links are showing as: file://C:\everythingcatz\index...
when you are making links to pages on your computer, you are linking to them locally (the link has the info where the file is DIRECTLY on YOUR computer.) when you upload the file to a server, it is not on your computer anymore so it cannot get to the file. If you can, go through your links, and delete ALL the 'file://C:\\everythingcatz\' at the beginning of the links. This is called using "relative addressing".





for example, when you have 2 pages in the same folder on your server, and want to link to each other, all you have to have in the link is the file name( 'index.html' or 'page2.html'), and if you are linking to a page one folder deeper inside, then it could be written as 'folder/index.html' or 'images/image1.gif'





hope I didn't confuse you there...
Reply:I just looked at your site. It looks okay but the only link that works is your Food Recall link. Before you used your FTP program, were the links active. What program did you use to assist you in writing this site.





I can tell you this: your menu items do not point to a specific page only your Home page does.





%26lt;li%26gt;%26lt;A href="index.html"%26gt;%26lt;/a%26gt;%26lt;a title="" accesskey="1" href=""%26gt;Home%26lt;/a%26gt;





%26lt;li%26gt;%26lt;A title="" accessKey=2 href="#"%26gt;Services%26lt;/a%26gt;


%26lt;li%26gt;%26lt;A title="" accessKey=3 href="#"%26gt;Information%26lt;/a%26gt;





%26lt;li%26gt;%26lt;A title="" accessKey=4 href="#"%26gt;About%26lt;/a%26gt;





%26lt;li%26gt;%26lt;A href="mailto:webmaster@everythingcatz.co... title="" accesskey="5" href=""%26gt;Contact%26lt;/a%26gt;%26lt;/li%26gt;





Where you have %26lt;A title="" you need to put the actual html page between the " "





This will make these work. Email me if you have any more questions.

gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment